Texas woman uses hand sanitizer, then burned while lighting candle: report




A Texas woman says she was severely burned earlier this week after the hand sanitizer on her pores and skin reportedly caught hearth and exploded while she was lighting a candle.

“Everywhere I had hand sanitizer on my hand, it simply lit my hand with hearth,” Kate Wise advised KHOU-TV in Houston. “It obviously went all over my face. And, in like a matter of five seconds, my whole body was just consumed in flames.”

The close-by bottle additionally exploded when the flames unfold, she mentioned.

NEW TOXIN FOUND IN CERTAIN HAND SANITIZERS; FDA ADDS PRODUCTS TO ‘DO NOT USE’ LIST

Wise mentioned she was in a position to take away her burning garments and get her disabled daughter and pets out of her Round Rock, Texas, house while her two youngest daughters ran to the neighbors’ for assist, the station reported.

As of Thursday, she was nonetheless recovering in a hospital’s intensive care unit.

The Round Rock Fire Department is investigating.

Experts warn that hand sanitizers, lots of which comprise alcohol, might be flammable and bottles normally have a warning that claims to maintain the product away from flames or hearth.

Users of the product are higher off “waiting to let the sanitizer fully absorb into the skin or evaporate” earlier than any shut contact with flames, Jennifer L. Rose, session director of the Virginia Occupational Safety and Health Program on the state’s Department of Labor and Industry, recommends, in response to Safety and Health journal.

“Isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable and can easily ignite,” she mentioned. “Vapors might kind explosive mixtures with air, touring to a supply of ignition and flashback. It is just not actually the liquid burning – it’s the vapors that catch hearth.”




Be the first to comment on "Texas woman uses hand sanitizer, then burned while lighting candle: report"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*