My 2-year-old almost died after popcorn infected his lung

My 2-year-old almost died after popcorn infected his lung

Go ahead and splurge for the extra-large popcorn at your subsequent family movie — nonetheless you might want to maintain it away from the kids.

That’s what Nicole Johnson Goddard found after letting her son Nash, 2, snack on the crunchy kernels all through a Saturday night viewing of “Mrs. Doubtfire.” His older sisters — ages 7 and 9 — had been consuming it, and she or he couldn’t see the damage in letting him have some, too.

But as a result of the flight attendant from Parker, Colo., wrote in a now viral publish on Facebook, that decision had near-fatal penalties for her son, resulting in a four-day preserve inside the hospital.

“At first [Nash] choked on something,” Goddard, 39, tells The Post. “We heard him gasping for air so my husband picked him up to see if he could dislodge it.” Her husband put Nash down (and took away the snack), when the tot said he was good.

That mid-February night, nonetheless, Nash developed “this really funky cough,” Goddard says, which turn out to be a 104-degree fever only a few days later.
Nicole and Nash inside the hospital.

My 2-year-old almost died after popcorn infected his lung

Nicole Johnson Goddard

With a flu-like virus going spherical the house, Goddard says she took Nash to the pediatrician, although she “had been in there with my girls on three separate occasions with them being sick.”

“I kind of felt like a hypochondriac,” she says.

It was her “mom instinct” that glad her to convey him in anyway, and to say the weekend’s choking incident to the doctor.

After X-rays and a go to to a pediatric pulmonologist, it was clear that Nash’s left lung was swollen and infected with pneumonia.

The perpetrator? Multiple microscopic objects of popcorn that had been nonetheless lodged in his respiratory tract.

“When he choked on it, he had a mouthful of popcorn that he had chewed up and he aspirated it,” Goddard says. It took two separate procedures, under primary anesthesia, to “pick out the six pieces of popcorn: kernels, shells and everything else,” she says.

Now, with Nash healthful and out of the hospital, Goddard wants totally different mom and father to know the hazards of letting their toddlers eat the movie-theater favorite. (As she found, the American Academy of Pediatrics classifies popcorn, along with grapes and scorching canines, as a “high-risk food” for toddlers.)

“Honestly, I’m not a big Facebook sharer,” she says of writing up her story, which has been shared over 130,000 cases, “but I thought, I might as well post it, because it’s alarming and I would have liked someone to do the same. Maybe it would have prevented this whole thing in the first place.”

Be the first to comment on "My 2-year-old almost died after popcorn infected his lung"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.