New York resident develops bacterial infection after drinking raw milk from Pennsylvania farm: officials




A New York resident has developed a bacterial infection after drinking raw milk that seemingly got here from a farm in Pennsylvania, the New York Department of Health introduced this week.

The resident, who has not been recognized, was contaminated with RB51 — a pressure of the Brucella abortus micro organism, in response to New York well being officials — after she or he drank raw milk that officials consider got here from the Miller’s Biodiversity Farm in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. On its web site, Miller’s  says it is a “private food club” that  “allows its members access to buying food directly from farms and other vendors, bypassing the supermarket.”

The farm has been quarantined by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA). This means it’s barred from promoting any of its merchandise made from raw cow’s milk whereas officials proceed to research.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

That stated, pasteurized dairy merchandise from the farm “have been deemed safe,” the PDA stated in a press release.

“Consumers who purchased unpasteurized cow’s milk or dairy products from Miller’s Biodiversity Farm in Lancaster County should immediately discard those products,” the PDA added.

Raw, unpasteurized milk can include micro organism that may trigger brucellosis, and a wide range of different dangerous ailments, similar to listeriosis, salmonellosis, campylobacteriosis, typhoid fever and tuberculosis, in response to the New York Department of Health. Milk is pasteurized — heated to a sure temperature — to kill any dangerous micro organism.

Specifically, signs of brucellosis embody fever, sweats, weight reduction, fatigue,  joint ache and headache, amongst different indicators.

KROGER RECALLS SHRIMP PRODUCTS OVER POSSIBLE FOODBORNE ILLNESS RISK

“Symptoms may appear up to six months after exposure. In severe cases, infections of the bones, joints, reproductive organs, central nervous system or lining of the heart may occur. The infection also can cause fetal loss in pregnant women,” the New York Department of Health defined.

The New Yorker contaminated with RB51 is “doing well” the well being division stated, noting she or he is the “third individual infected with RB51 due to raw milk consumption confirmed in the United States in the last two years.” The different two lived in Texas and New Jersey, respectively, and had been identified in 2017, the well being division stated.

“Raw milk products can contain harmful bacteria which can pose serious health risks. Pasteurization standards are in place to protect the public from diseases which are transmitted in raw milk and dairy products,” New York State Health Commissioner Howard Zucker said in a statement. “It is critical for New Yorkers to understand the dangers of these products and avoid their consumption.”




Be the first to comment on "New York resident develops bacterial infection after drinking raw milk from Pennsylvania farm: officials"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*